Fun recipe with yummy results.
If you haven't tried the method of making bagels and pretzels that involves Greek yogurt, you really should! The flavor brings out a gentle tartness that works with the fluffy dough. This recipe also involves an egg and self-rising flour, and of course, pumpkin puree. So, four ingredients, not counting the pumpkin spice sugar you'll use to generously dust them in while still hot. YUM!
Notes: Greek yogurt is full-fat. Butter is salted.
PUMPKIN PRETZEL TWISTS
Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour + more for rolling, 2 eggs at room temperature, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda, 2-3 tbsp. butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp. ground cardamom (optional).
Makes eight twists.
1. Make the dough: Whisk together the flour and salt. Make a well, then crack in 1 egg. Add the yogurt and pumpkin puree to the well. Whisk to combine the yogurt, egg, and pumpkin. Then switch to a wooden spoon and slowly incorporate the flour until you have a soft ball of dough. Turn out to a lightly floured surface and form a disk.
2. Cut the dough into eight pieces. Gently roll each piece into a ball, then into a snake, roughly 7 inches long. Form a simple twist and place each onto a baking sheet.
3. Bring a large pot of water to boil with 1 tsp. of baking soda. Drop in 2-3 twists at a time, and cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove to a rack to dry for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 375* F. Whisk the remaining egg, and brush over the twists. Bake twists on a parchment paper lined sheet, for 23-25 minutes until golden.
5. Mix together sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom. Lightly butter the twists on both sides, then roll them generously in the sugar mixture.