This is such a luscious cake and entirely gluten-free with no butter or oil. Really! It melts in your mouth with a soft, yet dense texture and vibrant orange flavor that goes beautifully well with holiday meals or really any time of year. I love it with a cup of tea, glass of milk or hot whiskey--t's extremely versatile and mind-blowingly good. In fact, I haven't seen a person yet who doesn't love this cake.
" You can skip the glaze if you like, but it makes the cake super delectable."
Notes: Orangs are small variety, either clementine or mandarin.
SIMPLE ORANGE CAKE
Ingredients: 4 small oranges, 6 eggs at room temperature, 1 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar, 1 3/4 cups almond flour, 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, pinch of salt, 1 tsp. vanilla. Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, juice and zest of 2 small oranges.
1. Preheat oven to 375* and grease and line an 8-inch springform pan.
2. Almost cover the oranges in a saucepan with water and bring to boil. Turn down to simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, cooking until they are soft and spongy.
3. Drain oranges then slice in half and remove seeds, if any. Put whole oranges into a food processor, pulse until broken down and mostly smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs and vanilla, blitz until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, rice flour, salt and baking powder. Add to the processor and blend. Add the sugar and blend until just combined, scraping down the sides.
5. Pour batter into cake pan, bake for 55-60 minutes, placing a piece of foil over the pan at the 30 minute mark. Cake is done when firm and pulling away from the sides, remove to cool completely.
6. Make glaze: Stir together powdered sugar and juice of 2 oranges. Pour over the cake, scatter over orange zest.