These are so festive and so fun. I love sugar cookies- even chocolate sugar cookies. The dip is just enough to give you extra chocolate without tasting cloying. Sprinkles are 100 % necessary.
"I used milk chocolate for the chocolate dip. You can use semi-sweet, bittersweet, or white if you like!- Just don't skimp on the sprinkles."
Notes: Butter is unsweetened. Cocoa powder is Dutch-processed.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED HEART COOKIES
Ingredients: 3/4 cup butter-softened, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg at room temperature, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. strong coffee, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. baking powder, pinch of salt. Chocolate dip: 1 cup milk chocolate chips, 1/2 cup sprinkles.
Makes about 3 dozen.
1. Preheat oven to 350*, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter with sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and coffee, followed by the egg. Beat until the mixture falls back on itself like a stream.
3. Measure the flour and cocoa powder into a sieve. Sieve them together, into another bowl. Or alternatively, whisk the flour and cocoa powder very well to get rid of any lumps. Add baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk again.
4. Add the dry ingredients to wet, mixing until just combined. Split dough into 2 equal portions. Form large flat disks on parchment paper. It helps to roll them out slightly, using a sprinkling of cocoa powder to keep from sticking. Chill for 1 hour.
5. Roll chilled dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut heart-shaped cookies using a cutter. Place on baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes, until edges are just set. Remove to cool completely.
5. Make chocolate dip: Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30-second increments at half-power until just starting to melt. Stir to melt. Dip one half of each cookie in the melted chocolate. Lay on rack or parchment paper. Add sprinkles while dip is still wet.