I really couldn't be easier. Melt the darn chocolate, spread it, top with something you like, or don't. AND it looks absolutely professional and so pretty. This is one thing, if you don't make anything else during the holidays, that you should.
I did four versions of bark to show you the possibilities...but of course, you can creatively think of your own, or browse the web for ideas.
"The white chocolate with cranberries and pumpkin seeds ended up being my fave- and I totally thought it would be the marbled one- so fun to try them all!"
FESTIVE CHOCOLATE BARK
Ingredients: 1 12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips, 1 12 oz. bag of white chocolate chips, 2 12 oz. bags of bittersweet (or semi-sweet if you prefer) chocolate chips, 2 tsp. red food coloring, 1/4 cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries, 1/2 cup shaved almonds, 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract. (4) 1/2 tsp. coconut oil.
1. Place chocolate chips into four separate microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/2 tsp. of coconut to each.
2. Melt each bowl of chocolate separately in the microwave on half power, in 30-second increments, stirring between each. When chocolate is 75% melted, remove from micro and set aside, the residual heat will continue to melt the chips perfectly. Stir until smooth. Do this for each bowl of chocolate chips.
3. Make marbled chocolate: Stir in red food coloring (if using) into milk chocolate. Pour the entire bowl of bittersweet chocolate onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. Smooth out into a large rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick. Dollop 3 spoonfuls of milk chocolate onto the rectangle, followed by the white chocolate. Using a skewer or thin knife tip, swirl the chocolates into each other making a beautiful marble affect. Place fridge or freezer to set.
4. Make milk chocolate with almonds: Pour the remainder of the milk chocolate onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and smooth. Sprinkle with shaved almonds - press the almonds down gently into the chocolate to adhere. Remove to set.
5. Make white chocolate with cranberry & pumpkin seed: Pour remainder of white chocolate onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and smooth. Sprinkle with cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Press down. Remove to set.
6. Make bittersweet chocolate with peppermint & coconut: Stir peppermint extract into the coconut. Pour the second bowl of bittersweet chocolate onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and smooth. Sprinkle over peppermint-scented coconut, press down. Remove to set.
7. Break chocolate into large and medium pieces. Keep stored in a covered container in the freezer or refrigerator until ready to serve. Keeps in fridge up to 2 weeks, in freezer up to 1 month.
Tip: Sometimes chocolate seizes during the melting process, especially if you have a high voltage or new microwave- to avoid this happening, set the power level even lower, at 30% and be patient. Chocolate melts in a pocket, so low and slow is the key to glossy, perfectly melted consistency. And if your chocolate seizes, just toss it and start over- no tears, it happens.