Updated: May 31
I am loving my bagel babies! They turned out super and they taste just amazing. Never made bagels? This recipe is very simple and there is no boiling involved. Dare I say, you can even make them the morning you want to eat them while sipping your coffee.
"These make great sandwiches!"
Notes: Yogurt is Trader Joe's European style.
GLUTEN-LITE POPPY SEED BAGELS
Ingredients: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup potato starch (flour), 1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup almond flour, 1 cup plain full-fat yogurt, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds, 1 egg white
Makes 8, 4-inch bagels
1. Preheat the oven to 375* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add in the yogurt and mix with a fork or pastry blender until flour is combined.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds, adding a little extra flour if dough is overly sticky. Form a ball, then flatten the top to shape it into a thick disk.
4. Cut the dough into 8 equal "pie" pieces. Take each piece and form a bagel by rolling gently into a ball, then after flouring your index finger, poke a hole through the center. Do not stretch the circle too much! Try to keep the center hole 1 inch in diameter, and the bagel "body", to 4 inches. Remember, the larger the hole, the flatter the bagel.
5. Brush each bagel with egg white, then immediately sprinkle the tops with poppy seeds. Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly golden.
Tip: You can go full-gluten by scrapping the alternative flours and making the recipe with 2 cups of all-purpose. To store, use an airtight container or gallon zip bag.