Updated: Sep 29
If you are a Mexican food lover like me and my hubs, this recipe could change your life. Authentic flavor but without the 3 hours of cooking. This mole comes together in about 30 minutes. And it is everything.
"I used regular cocoa powder. Dutch processed works as well, but will result in a more intense chocolate flavor."
Notes: Olive oil is extra-virgin.
REAL (QUICK) MOLE SAUCE
Ingredients: 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 medium onion-chopped, 1 jalapeño pepper- seeds removed and chopped, 4 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp. salt, 2-3 tbsp. cocoa powder, 3 tbsp. tomato sauce, 2 tbsp. cashew butter (or almond butter), pinch of sugar.
1. In a deep saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add jalapeño and cook for 1 minute.
2. Tip in flour, chili powder, cinnamon, oregano and cumin seeds. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes, until flour smell is cooked out.
3. Pour over chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Let cool 5 minutes.
4. Blend (or use an immersion blender) until smooth. Return to pot.
5. Stir in over medium-high heat, cashew butter, cocoa powder, tomato sauce and salt. Simmer and cook while stirring for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning. You may find that you want more salt or more cocoa.
6. Mole is ready for shredded pre-cooked chicken, or to be added to another recipe. Or turn down to low, and allow to thicken over an hour or so if storing for a later use. (Add 1/2 cup chicken broth when re-heating.)