A big skillet of pasta with big flavors is one of my favorite things. Lemony, garlicky, and colorful, are a few requirements I had for this one. I should note that I used gluten-free red lentil pasta so I could keep the carbs in check. It provided a nice texture that wasn't gummy and underscored the entire dish with a subtle nuttiness. Very (very) good!
"If you want a meat protein in this, go with slices of Italian pork sausage, and cook along with the tomatoes."
Notes: Red lentil pasta is gluten free.
SMASHED TOMATO & WHITE BEAN PASTA W/ LEMON
Ingredients: 8 oz. red lentil pasta, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. chili flakes, 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, 1 can northern beans-drained and rinsed, 1/4 lemon sliced thinly, 1/4 cup dry white, 1 Tbsp. butter, juice of 1/2 of lemon, pinch of salt, 1 Tbsp. torn fresh parsley, 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, thickly grated Parmesan cheese.
1. Cook pasta in very salty water to al dente, according to box instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and tomatoes. Allow the tomatoes to move and sputter for 5 minutes before stirring. Cook for 3-5 minutes longer, until you can press each with the back of a spoon to smash down.
3. Add in the beans, lemon slices, chili flakes and salt and cook for 5 more minutes, then stir in the pasta.
4. Make space in the center of the skillet. Drop in the butter, add the wine and lemon juice. Whisk to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet and form a light sauce. Incorporate the sauce into the pasta.
5. Finally, sprinkle over the lemon zest and parsley. Add curls of Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Tip: Recipe can be doubled.