MIXED BERRY GALETTE
I love this recipe almost because of how simple it is, just three main ingredients, but its beauty and scrumptiousness override the ease-factor. (It's true that would make it even if it took more effort, though.)
It goes without saying that you can leave off the stars and make this anytime of year, not just around the summer holidays. I actually named this 'star-berry' because so many times that is what I type when my clumsy fingers are supposed to type the word 'strawberry... This flaky, buttery crust meets sweet and juicy, hot strawberries and bursting blueberries. Simply gorgeous.
"Want a show-stopper for guests? To send this baby right up to the sky, drizzle with melted white chocolate just before serving."
Notes: Puff pastry is Trader Joe's.
Ingredients: 1 puff pastry sheet, 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 beaten egg.
1. Remove a sheet of puff pastry and thaw according to package instructions. Preheat the oven to 450*.
2. Roll pastry sheet out on a sheet of parchment paper, just enough to smooth the folding creases back into the dough.
3. Using a knife, slice off the corners of the square, forming a hexagon shape. You should be left with four 4-inch triangle scraps. Cut small stars and or hearts out of the scraps and set aside, or discard.
5. Pile the berries in the center. brush the perimeter of the pastry with beaten egg. Fold up the pastry sides over the berries, sealing a few of the edges in a crease. Brush the outside of the pastry with beaten egg. Place the stars and brush those as well.
6. Transfer the galette on the parchment paper to a baking sheet and place into the oven. Immediately turn down the temperature to 400. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Tip: If serving with melted white chocolate, remember that it melts in half of the time as regular. About only two 15-second increments on high. Or do whipped cream!