When I think of the junk food I love to indulge in, it has to be chocolate and potato chips. Not dark chocolate with its antioxidants that one could argue is actually healthy, (but I eat that too- for my health...) or baked chips with a hint of sea salt, I'm talking about basic chocolate chips in a head-back dump-able bag, and Lay's. So, yeah, these bars are Trashy Bars. The base is peanut butter and almond flour, (no gluten, yay!) the top has a friendly drizzle of melted toasted marshmallow. All-told, just five ingredients.
As you know, I'm a big supporter of eating things in moderation, which includes healthy foods. You need to have a treat sometimes and not be pinned down by the rigidity of a diet. I don't want that stress. But, I won't go nutso and eat the entire pan of these bars, I will share with others. Plus, they are rich and I simply can't do too much sweet all at once. But, oh my bars...just delectable and junky-good. Go for it!
"For a more 'adult' version, use dark chocolate and add chopped peanuts to the top."
Notes: Potato chips are Lay's.
Ingredients: 1 cup + 2 tsp. creamy peanut butter, 3/4 cup fine almond flour, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 bashed cheap potato chips, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, 1 tsp. butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350* and line a square pan (8x8 or 9x9) with parchment paper.
2. Mix 1 cup peanut butter and almond flour together using a mixer, until crumbly. Press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 7 minutes, set aside.
3. Melt the chocolate chips with 2 tsp. peanut butter in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each, until glossy and melted. Spread over the peanut butter base.
4. Sprinkle over the potato chip pieces and lightly press into the chocolate.
5. Melt the marshmallows over medium heat with the butter in a small sauce pan until melted and starting to color. Watch and stir so you do not scald the bottom! Drizzle the toasted melted marshmallow over the bars.
6. Refrigerate 2-3 hours until cool and chocolate is set. Remove and slice.
Tip: Bash up the chips by putting them into a baggie and smashing a few times with your fists. The clean way.