Oh my heavens, this lovely dish. Whether or not you are looking for ways to eat savory and filling dishes that don't contain refined carbohydrates, you will want to eat this. All the things you adore about pizza, sans crust--any crust. The zucchini provides enough body for the sauce and cheese and salami, as well as perfect coin-shaped bites to keep the mess to a minimum. Though, a little wayward oozy cheese is never a bad thing, right?
*Recipe can be made vegetarian by omitting salami and replacing with olives or bell peppers.
Recipe works with yellow hook-neck squash as well!
PIZZA BAKED ZUCCHINI
Ingredients: 2 medium zucchini, 12 ounces pizza sauce, 6 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend, 3 ounces sliced salami or pepperoni, 1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning, sea salt and pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 375* F. Lightly spritz a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Slice zucchini into coins. Lay half of the zucchini on the bottom of the dish, overlapping is fine. Season with salt and pepper and half of the Italian seasoning.
3. Spread half of the pizza sauce over the zucchini. Follow with half of the salami.
4. Cover with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers: zucchini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, sauce, salami, cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, until bubbling with melty cheese.